Sunday, October 31, 2010

Love & Peace (Lush - Karma Dup)

Last night I also soaped "Love & Peace" - it's my Lush "Karma" dup...

I modified my soap recipe just a little bit and included beeswax in the oils. There are many benefits in using beeswax in your soap oils. One is that it has natural moisturizing and healing properties. Beeswax is also high in vitamin A, which is important for human cell development. Beeswax is also known to have anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties as well.

Beeswax will also make your cold process go to trace much faster too.... and sometimes, that's not a good thing when you're soaping! LOL I was only able to get one section on the bottom of the soap loaf swirled before I added the embeds. I had wanted to also swirl the top as well but the soap just got too thick too quickly.

I also used this loaf as a "trial" on mixing glycerin soaps as embeds into cold process soap. I've ready where others have done this successfully so I thought I would give it a try. From the information and opinions that I've read, using glycerin as embeds in CP works much better than CP embeds in glycerin soap. I thought that by using the glycerin embeds it would give me a more transparent embed that might look pretty cool. The embeds are hearts and flowers :-)

The base of the soap loaf is a beautiful blue... I hope that the color stays the same as I poured it and doesn't morph on me LOL The top is a beautiful red gloppy frosting with small red glycerin reds on top (and glitter sprinkled on top of that of course).

I checked it this morning and it seems like the soap loaf has completed going through the gel phase and is beginning to cool down. The loaf is still soft to the touch and will need more time in the mold. I will probably leave this loaf in the mold until Monday morning - just to be sure it is completely ready to slice.

Sometimes soap making is really just an experiment - with each batch you cook, you learn something new. It might be something like how adjusting or adding one additional oil or butter affects trace or it might be learning that a particular fragrance makes a soap go to a thick trace (or seize) almost immediately. But it is always so much fun when it's time to slice the soap and see what it looks like inside.

I'm hoping that my "Love & Peace" will be a cool experimental loaf :-) Here's a couple of pics of the soap in the mold:



No comments:

Post a Comment