Sunday, October 24, 2010

Re-Batching..... Oct/24/2010

I've been studying and reading about "re-batching".... so yesterday I decided to give it a try.  It's different to say the least from the making cold process soap.  First, you start with cold process soap that didn't turn out quite right the first time.  I had 2 loafs that were just not up to par (in my opinion LOL).

The first soap log was a batch of "Love Spell".  After cutting the log up and then grating the soap bars into shreds, they went into the crock pot with a little bit of water to get things mixed up well.  Then the soap started "cooking".  Re-batching is really not a hard thing to do, just a little time consuming.  The soap is very thick though and a little bit hard to stir.  I just had to keep an eye on it and make sure that the soap didn't completely dry out or start to burn.  I cooked mine for a little longer (instead of using a higher temperature) until the shreds turned transparent.  Then, I added some chunks of pink cold process soap into the mix to add another color to the finished product.

The soap looked like spun sugar to me when it was time to place it into the soap log molds.  I had lined the molds with freezer paper. The hardest part was packing the soap into the molds and trying to make sure that I didn't have any air pockets.   I "textured" the top of the loaf (instead of leaving it smooth) and then, of course, sprinkled some iridescent glitter on top.  I think the re-batched soap is going to look pretty cool when it's finished drying.

I plan on adding some decorative "icing" touches to the 2 soap logs I created from this batch and possibly cutting it into "cake" pieces instead of soap slices.  Just an idea....  I'll upload some pics of this re-batch shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment